BpoetryWriters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hello, Guest!
Member’s Local Time

USA-EST

UK

South Australia

Your Personal Poetry Quote

WhatDoYouThinkPOLLS

Latest topics
» My Aunt
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySat Feb 15 2020, 07:49 by Sue McDonald

» Gone but never forgotten
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Oct 09 2019, 05:01 by Sue McDonald

» Michelle
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySat Aug 31 2019, 16:01 by Sue McDonald

» Duncan and Betsy Wren
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySat Aug 31 2019, 07:13 by Sue McDonald

» The Unfair Race
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun May 05 2019, 08:03 by Fred West

» me my mate and my sheep
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun May 05 2019, 08:02 by Fred West

» seed sown
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun May 05 2019, 07:53 by Fred West

» Wisdom
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Mar 08 2019, 16:58 by alitnobani

» Daily Death
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Mar 08 2019, 16:45 by alitnobani

»  Indistinct Dreams
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Mar 08 2019, 16:36 by alitnobani

» My Teacher
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Mar 08 2019, 16:28 by alitnobani

» The Tree
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Mar 08 2019, 16:18 by alitnobani

» My Uncle Duncan
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Oct 26 2018, 07:35 by Sue McDonald

» Happy Halloween !
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyMon Oct 30 2017, 19:24 by Sue McDonald

» Friends Forever
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyMon Oct 31 2016, 13:52 by RichieO

» Sundays
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Sep 14 2016, 13:55 by RichieO

» The Night Star
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Sep 14 2016, 13:44 by RichieO

» Mr Jeff Kernich
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyTue Aug 09 2016, 23:56 by Sue McDonald

» For the ''Little Ones''
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyTue Aug 09 2016, 21:42 by Sue McDonald

» R.I.P Mrs Jackson
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyMon Aug 08 2016, 04:55 by Sue McDonald

» Desperate Dementia Times !
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun Jul 31 2016, 02:15 by Sue McDonald

» Happy 60th Dear Sue
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Jul 06 2016, 07:43 by Sue McDonald

» Happy 6th Birthday Gabrielle
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Jun 15 2016, 18:17 by BC Williams

» Two Hearts Will Beat As One
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun May 15 2016, 07:25 by Sue McDonald

» A Field
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun Nov 29 2015, 20:42 by BC Williams

» It never goes away
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyMon Jul 13 2015, 08:23 by Lucie

» If life were a drawing !
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyMon Apr 27 2015, 00:32 by Sue McDonald

» Looking for Mum !
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Apr 22 2015, 00:43 by Sue McDonald

» The Old house On The Hill
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Feb 18 2015, 05:11 by Sue McDonald

» 40 Valentine Day's
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySat Feb 14 2015, 07:10 by Robert Anderson

» Galleon
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun Oct 19 2014, 01:29 by RichieO

» shame
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyThu Oct 09 2014, 12:38 by Lucie

» Robe of Righteousness
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyThu Oct 02 2014, 16:47 by Cheryl Brickner

» Kassandra Phae
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun Sep 07 2014, 07:53 by Lucie

» Happy Birthday !..So ! Now Your Eighteen !!
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri Jun 13 2014, 21:19 by Sue McDonald

» Baby Gabrielle
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyThu Jun 05 2014, 07:09 by peewee

» A Four Year Old Princess !
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyWed Jun 04 2014, 23:41 by Sue McDonald

» Indian Tribe
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyFri May 23 2014, 02:13 by RichieO

» Always there for me
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptySun May 11 2014, 08:34 by peewee

» Talking to God
WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! EmptyTue May 06 2014, 03:35 by peewee

WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST !

Go down

WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! Empty WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST !

Don't you just LOVE it when you know you have a poem all written out, you go and post it, then when it's all written out, it's soo short that you want to try and write it a little longer ?
I'm at a stall with my poem "NOVEMBER SKIES" in making it a little longer.. deep thought doh
Dori
Dori

Author Credits : 625
Accolades : 4

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

WRITING A POEM.......I THOUGHT AT LEAST ! :: Comments

BC Williams

Post Sun Nov 06 2011, 21:33  BC Williams

And WHAT, may I ask little lady, is wrong with a short poem? You might find yourself quite fastionably 'short' . . . if you do a bit of research!

Take a look at this:

When Roses cease to bloom, Sir
by Emily Dickinson

When Roses cease to bloom, Sir,
And Violets are done --
When Bumblebees in solemn flight
Have passed beyond the Sun --
The hand that paused to gather
Upon this Summer's day
Will idle lie -- in Auburn --
Then take my flowers -- pray!

OR:

La Fuite de la Lune
by Oscar Wilde

To outer senses there is peace,
A dreamy peace on either hand,
Deep silence in the shadowy land,
Deep silence where the shadows cease.

Save for a cry that echoes shrill
From some lone bird disconsolate;
A corncrake calling to its mate;
The answer from the misty hill.

And suddenly the moon withdraws
Her sickle from the lightening skies,
And to her sombre cavern flies,
Wrapped in a veil of yellow gauze.

Or maybe:

will you teach a wretch to live ...
by e.e. cummings

(will you teach a
wretch to live
straighter than a needle)
ask
her
ask
when
(ask and
ask
and ask
again and)ask a
brittle little
person fiddling
in
the
rain

This is good and short:

Morning at the Window
by T. S. Eliot

They are rattling breakfast plates in basement kitchens,
And along the trampled edges of the street
I am aware of the damp souls of housemaids
Sprouting despondently at area gates.
The brown waves of fog toss up to me
Twisted faces from the bottom of the street,
And tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts
An aimless smile that hovers in the air
And vanishes along the level of the roofs.

THIS is the world's shortest poem written by Anon:

Fleas
Adam
Had 'em.

Back to top Go down

Dori

Post Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:20  Dori

OK point taken Bev lol

(clears throat)"every SHORT person can write a great SHORT poem" ha ha ha

OK I'll post the one that I have, I posted it years ago but wanted to add a bit more to it.. deep thought Very Happy

Back to top Go down

peewee

Post Mon Nov 07 2011, 15:14  peewee

My feelings on this are those of the formal letter

Keep it short and to the point. Most but not all poems should have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Too many verses, and the reader will become tired.
Some of the best poems are short and to the point

If it feels right don't mess with it, as that could do more damage

Back to top Go down

Dori

Post Mon Nov 07 2011, 15:57  Dori

Thanks Peter, it did seem or feel right, it seemed like there was something missing from the poem.

Back to top Go down

BC Williams

Post Tue Nov 08 2011, 18:05  BC Williams

Most of the poems I'm happy with are those I've written, let sit, then go back to. Some of the greatest poets from the past and present take weeks, months, or even years editing a poem. There is nothing wrong with this! Nothing . . . so when you feel something is missing, the best thing to do is back off for a time. Let the thing sit until you forget it (or forget the essence of it). When you come back later and do that first read through, it's amazing how clear it finally seems. THEN, you'll most likely know what to do.

deep thought

Back to top Go down

Dori

Post Tue Nov 08 2011, 21:14  Dori

Thanks Bev, that's what I did with this one, I posted it a few days ago tho as I figure I wasn't going to go any further with it.. lol

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum